Monday, April 23, 2012

Linux / Unix: Find Out What tty I’m Using

What is a tty under Linux / UNIX? How do I find out what tty I'm on?

TTY is nothing but computer terminal which act as a basic device for using a computer. Open a command-line terminal (select Applications > Accessories > Terminal). To display the file name of the terminal connected to standard input, enter:
$ tty
Sample outputs:
/dev/pts/0
You can also use the who command and w command to find out your own or other logged-in users tty:
$ who
$ w

Linux / UNIX / BSD / Apple OSX: What tty I'm using?
Linux / UNIX / BSD / Apple OSX: What tty I'm using?

There are different types of text terminals:
  1. Dumb terminals
  2. Text terminals
  3. Graphic GUI Capabilities of text terminals
You can also view the manual page on tty using the following command:
$ man 4 tty
$ man pts
$ man tty
$ man who
$ man w

No comments:

Post a Comment